It is the mission of the Gander and Area SPCA to advocate on behalf of those who can not defend themselves by providing education on responsible pet ownership, preventing cruelty, and sheltering those animals in need. We believe all animal life has value and devote ourselves to providing a leadership role in the humane treatment of animals. As an organization we have adopted and believe wholeheartedly in the Five Freedoms;
- Freedom from hunger and thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express (most) normal behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
We consider animal welfare as both an individual and a community responsibility, therefor we are committed to working with individuals and communities in our region to promote greater responsibility and compassion for animals.
Documents and Position Statements:
We are a member of SPCA Newfoundland & Labrador